Disorderly Conduct And Miami’s Public Space Laws

Disorderly conduct is an issue that many states take very seriously. There are many acts that can potentially constitute a charge in this area.

"Lewd acts" is one example of disorderly conduct. According to Florida state law, the crime of Lewd conduct is defined as intentionally touching a person under 16 years of age in a lewd manner or soliciting a person under 16 years of age to commit a lewd act. The penalties for this will vary based on whether the offender was over or under the age of 18 when the act occurred

Florida Statutes Chapter 823 further describes and defines public nuisances, which involve crimes that are more focused on disturbing public decency. Examples of public nuisances include the acts of smoking in elevators, improperly disposing of waste, etc.

Chapter 856 of the Florida Statutes defines similar disorderly conduct criminal charges associated with drunkenness, open house parties, loitering, prowling, and desertion. Disorderly conduct charges commonly involve public intoxication. In essence, any act of disrupting the peace could constitute an arrest for disorderly conduct.

The exact law states:

“Breach of the peace; disorderly conduct.—Whoever commits such acts as are of nature to corrupt the public morals, or outrage the sense of public decency, or affect the peace and quiet of persons who may witness them, or engages in brawling or fighting, or engages in such conduct as to constitute a breach of the peace or disorderly conduct, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

What Should You Do Next?

If you or a loved one has been charged with disorderly conduct, often the next best step to take is to talk to a criminal defense lawyer. The cost of fines combined with the cost of having a conviction on your record can be detrimental.

At Hager & Schwartz, P.A., we may be able to help with your charges today. Call us today to talk to someone about setting up your defense for your case. (305) 330-1360.