Legal Assistance in Miami, FL
There are specific steps that may lead to a DUI arrest in Miami. Depending on the circumstances of the case, it is also possible that a defendant may have been subject to an unlawful arrest, and this may be used by your attorney to positively impact the outcome of your case. If you would like to learn more about this important topic, we welcome you to contact our law firm to see how we can help with your particular case.
Following is the basic process that may lead to an arrest for drunk driving:
- A law enforcement officer may observe someone who is driving erratically or may receive a report of a dangerous driver who may be intoxicated
- The police officer will pull the driver over to the side of the road, where he will ask for license and registration information. The officer may also ask the driver where he or she has been, whether he or she had anything to drink, etc.
- Depending on the driver's statements and the officer's observations of the driver, the officer may ask the driver to step out of the vehicle and perform field sobriety tests
- Depending on how the driver does on field sobriety tests, the officer may determine that there is probable cause to arrest the driver on suspicion of driving under the influence (DUI)
- Once the driver is taken into custody, he or she will be taken to the police station, where the officer will request that he or she take a breath test or blood test to determine his or her blood alcohol concentration (BAC)
Challenging the Evidence
If law enforcement violated procedure or infringed upon your rights in making an arrest for DUI, this may be grounds for your Miami drunk driving defense lawyer to challenge the lawfulness of your arrest. In any event, it will be important to carefully review the circumstances that led to your arrest as well as the arrest itself in building a defense against our charges.