Amongst all the states, Florida is one of the toughest when it comes to punishing sex offenders and predators. If a person it charged with a sexual offense, it is crucial that person seeks help from experienced legal counsel right away. Failure to contact a skilled and knowledgeable attorney may result in a lifetime of punishments, penalties, fines, and a ruined reputation.
According to Florida Statute 775.21or 943.0435, if an adult is convicted for a qualifying sexual offense and meets the criteria for either statute, they must register as a sexual predator or offender. Registrants must appear at their local sheriff’s department and provide the following pieces of information: name, age, birth date, hair color, eye color, weight, social security number, all vehicle information, immigrant paperwork, licenses, photographs, fingerprints, palm prints, addresses, professional information, and other pieces of information. If a person, who is guilty, fails to register, he or she will be convicted of a felony.
Because law enforcement agencies keep track of sexual offenders and predators, offenders and predators must carry out several responsibilities throughout their lifetimes. Failure to uphold any of the requirements will result in legal punishment and penalties.
Below is a list of requirements sexual offenders and predators must uphold:
- Sex offenders are required to complete registration at the sheriff’s office of the county in which they live twice a month or four times year depending on their offense.
- Sexual predators, juvenile sexual offenders, and some sexual offenders must report to their county’s sheriff station at least four times a year.
- If a sexual offender or predator moves, they are required to update their identification card and driver license within 48 hours.
- A sexual predator or offender is required to maintain registration for their entire life.
- All sexual predators, sexual offenders, and juvenile sexual offenders will be listed on the registry website, which is available to the public.
Accused of a Sex Crime? Contact Hager & Schwartz, P.A.
If you have been charged with a sexual offense, you need aggressive and relentless reputation right away. Your future, rights, and freedom are on the line. At Hager & Schwartz, P.A., our Miami criminal defense attorneys can listen to the details of your case and determine which defense tactics can best safeguard your future. Do not wait to get the representation you need. Your time is limited.
To discuss your case, contact our Miami criminal defense lawyers, and we will supply you with a risk-free consultation.